Re: [Xen-users] Which distro to use for Dom0

On 1/12/2011 11:35 AM, Digimer wrote:
On 01/12/2011 12:12 PM, Donny Brooks wrote:
On 1/12/2011 11:06 AM, Donny Brooks wrote:
On 1/12/2011 10:59 AM, Digimer wrote:
On 01/12/2011 11:55 AM, Donny Brooks wrote:
I am not worried about the xen version really. I have 4.0 on centos
currently from the third party repo. I mainly need whatever supports
the
best live/auto migration. Basically if I have a server fail I need
whatever was running on it to switch to the backup server
"automagically".

Food for thought: What would be the difference in the above support
between Ubuntu/Debian and Fedora 14?
Automatic VM migration in a failure would best be achieved with a 2-node
cluster. Fedora 14 would be best there, as I believe most of the
developers of Pacemaker and RHCS use Fedora/RHEL. At the least, it's
pretty RPM-centric, then gets ported to .deb's.

That in and of itself is not always the best argument though. It was
enough to make me switch from Debian/Ubuntu to RHEL (CentOS)/Fedora
though.

Thanks for the input. Currently we do not have any form of auto
failover so that is a must moving forward. So is pacemaker the best
way to provide auto failover with xen 4.0?

Also, where would XCP come into play with this? Is it something I should
consider?
I don't use XCP, so I can't comment on that.

As for clustering; Pacemaker will be the main clustered resource manager
going forward (rgmanager from RHCS is now being migrated away). I've
just started this move myself, but I do think that there are well tested
Xen OCF scripts for managing Xen VMs.

The setup you will want to look at is:
- RHEL 6 (Fedora 14/CentOS 6)
- Corosync + Pacemaker (cluster core + resource manager)
- Fencing (aka Stonith) device (IPMI, PDU, etc)
- DRBD if you don't have/want a SAN
- qdisk for proper quorum support

Thanks for that. So far I am leaning toward Fedora 14. The Centos cycle is too long and usually has packages that are way out of the range I need (for instance OpenLDAP on my Centos 5.5 is way too old to enable the ppolicy stuff I need even though the release is not that old). I will look into the other software now.

What about a web based administration or domu creation? Are there any that work well with Xen and both paravirt/full-virt domu's?

Donny B.