Re: [Xen-users] How to add 2 physical scsi drives to ubuntu fileshare VM

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] How to add 2 physical scsi drives to ubuntu fileshare VM on XCP 0.50
From: Christian Fischer <christian.fischer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 20:45:37 +0100
Cc: David Oh <davidohonline@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 11:47:27 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Monday 03 January 2011 18:54:56 Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 12:09 AM, David Oh <davidohonline@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > All,
> > I'm new to XEN and cloud computing.  I've successfully setup XCP 0.50 and
> > my first domU (a mailserver running on Debian 5.0).  I'm now going for
> > my second domU - a fileserver running Ubuntu 10.04LTS 64-bit server but
> > I have one question:
> > I have 2 500GB SCSI drives full of files (one formatted as EXT3, the
> > other XFS) I'd like the fileshare domU I'm going to create to access
> > these disks directly (or flow through some sort of virtual container)
> > without having to reformat or migrate.  My desire is to be able to take
> > these drives out and plug them into another machine without having to do
> > much fussing around to access the files.
> > I've googled for the past few days and found nothing helpful.  Can anyone
> > provide me some insight on how best to accomplish this or point me to a
> > good resource that can help me out?
> > Thanks kindly,
> > Dave

> The easy way is to export the drives via NFS / CIFS on dom0 and mount
> then on domU :)

The better and probaly easiest way is creating two local SCSI storage
resources which provide domU access to the block devices without additional
LVM layer.

There's no need to install and/or configure NFS or CIFS server software/shares
and to deal with whose overhead.

Please let me know if you like to get mailed the SCSISR python script.

Christian