Re: [Xen-users] IPV4 is nearly depleted, are you ready for IPV6?

To: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] IPV4 is nearly depleted, are you ready for IPV6?
From: Simon Hobson <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 23:11:08 +0000
Delivery-date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 15:12:26 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jonathan Tripathy wrote:

A problem with using IPv6 at the minute is that netfilter doesn't have as-advanced filtering capabilities as it does with IPv4. This is important when your DomUs are for customers on an unmanaged basis.

The main issue is that IPv6 doesn't use ARP anymore, so all MAC address detection is done in the IP layer and AFAIK, netfilter doesn't have the proper filtering for IPv6 to prevent MAC spoofing. What we really need is an IPv6 equivalent to arptables.

Since you clearly know quite a bit more than I do about IPv6 - can you recommend a good guide/primer for getting going ? At the moment I know a little bit - but mostly what I know is that it's quite a bit different from IPv4 and it's not a case of "the same but more bits".

It's really about time I started looking at this for work.

--
Simon Hobson