Re: [Xen-users] xen upgrade problem, cant boot from 3.4.2 to 4.0.0

To: Daniel <dandadude@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] xen upgrade problem, cant boot from 3.4.2 to 4.0.0
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 15:00:56 +0700
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 01:02:21 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 1:03 PM, Daniel <dandadude@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Guys!
>
> I have a very interesting problem.
>
> I run gentoo and have been running xen-3.4.2 on 2 server computers
> (Supermicro-based, IBM).
>
> A little time ago, I have tried to upgrade xen-3.4.2 to xen-4.0.0 (with
> emerge) on the Supermicro server, but the computer wasn't able to boot

> - If I set xen-3.4.2.gz in the grub (with installed xen-4.0.0), it is able
> to boot normally, only xend does not start (but I don't need a livecd). This
> means that there is no problem with the kernel, only xen-4.0.0 is the fault
> ;-)

> What do you recommend?

Short version: it's easier to copy what others have succefully done,
and copy it. Hopefuly other Gentoo users can share their experience.

Long version: I haven't used gentoo in a long time, but my guess is
that you run into some xen-and-kernel compatibility problem.
You might want to to update your kernel as well, and/or use Xen 4.0.1.

For comparison, In RHEL/Centos5, the following combination works:
- bundled xen (3.1+) with bundled kernel-xen (2.6.18 + RHEL patches)
- newer xen 3.x (up to 3.4.3, preferably from Gitco repo) with bundled
kernel-xen
- Xen 4.0.0 with kernel 2.6.34 +
http://code.google.com/p/gentoo-xen-kernel/downloads/list

while using Xen 4.0.0 + RHEL's kernel-xen does not work. I haven't
tested 4.0.1 yet. Also, pv_ops kernel currently require a matching
version of xen, so if you use latest pv_ops kernel for dom0, make sure
you also use latest xen version (4.0.1 or latest xen-testing).

--
Fajar