[Xen-users] Fw: Xen, full virtualization and Virtual Machine Manager ?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Fw: Xen, full virtualization and Virtual Machine Manager ?
From: Lowell S Middleton <lmiddlet@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 12:46:14 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 09:47:49 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I downloaded and ran the live CD from http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/LiveCD which worked fine on a Lenovo,  Intel Core 2CPU 6300@xxxx GHz with 2GB of ram and 80 GB disk space.

The next step was to recreate a working version on this machine, using full virtualization of some test OS's, one goal would be Microsoft Server 20xx and being able to view the console of the guest machine.

I have kernel 2.6.26-2-xen-amd64 running from the Debian lenny distribution.

Using the Virtual Machine Manager I attempted to create a new virtual system, my test OS was the CrunchBang Linux distribution.  Selecting local install media (ISO image or CDROM) ..... there does not appear to be a problem.  I then attempt to open the Virtual Machine and I get "Console is not yet active for guest"  I have found a couple of "Bug" posts http://osdir.com/ml/debian-bugs-rc/2010-04/msg01107.html that have no reference/solution identified.

I have heard that Virtual Machine Manager uses VNC to connect, a little assistance would be appreciated.  This effort is supposed to be a proof of concept initiative I doubt that my managers would buy off on makefile modifications or complex tweaks that would be hard to reproduce - my predecessor left them in that position, failed to document the steps involved and was unable to recreate.

I find it interesting that with VirtualBox I managed to install XP, Linux Mint and CrunchBang within a couple of hours.  I have been hoping that once stood up Xen would be a more robust solution, or not, given that I am new to the world of virtualiztion.

Thanks in Advance,
Scott M.

This is a PRIVATE message. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete without copying and kindly advise us by e-mail of the mistake in delivery.
NOTE: Regardless of content, this e-mail shall not operate to bind CSC to any order or other contract unless pursuant to explicit written agreement or government initiative expressly permitting the use of e-mail for such purpose.