Re: [Xen-users] Looking for suggestions

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Looking for suggestions
From: Bart Coninckx <bart.coninckx@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 15:41:26 +0200
Cc: James Pifer <jep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 06:42:49 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Friday 09 July 2010 15:02:27 James Pifer wrote:
> I'm working on a project where we'll be deploying SLES11 xen servers in
> pairs to remote sites. The goal is to run VMs on each server, but have
> the VM's disks synced to the other server in case of failure. There will
> not be a SAN, only local storage on each server.
>
> The VM disks will be sparse disk files.
>
> We were looking at a product that could sync live disks to some type of
> image, but they don't support linux or NSS volumes, which we use both.
>
> I've looked at DRBD to create a shared file system with the local disks,
> but from what I read, one system is the primary. It didn't seem like you
> could write to the same disk from both nodes, which we need to do.
>
> Server1 would run VM1 and VM2.
> Server2 would run VM3 and VM4.
>
> If something happened to Server1 we want to bring VM1 and VM2 up on
> Server2 in a state as close as possible to when Server1 went down.
>
> Hopefully all of that made sense. Anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> James

I don't see what the problem with DRBD would be, it would be the ideal
solution for your problem. Why do you need to write to the other DRBD node?
There is by the way a DBD document on their site that explains how you can
combine DRBD and Xen, but that is definitely not the only way.

Rgds,

Bart