[Xen-users] Looking for suggestions

To: Xen List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Looking for suggestions
From: James Pifer <jep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 09:02:27 -0400
Delivery-date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 06:11:32 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm working on a project where we'll be deploying SLES11 xen servers in
pairs to remote sites. The goal is to run VMs on each server, but have
the VM's disks synced to the other server in case of failure. There will
not be a SAN, only local storage on each server.

The VM disks will be sparse disk files.

We were looking at a product that could sync live disks to some type of
image, but they don't support linux or NSS volumes, which we use both.

I've looked at DRBD to create a shared file system with the local disks,
but from what I read, one system is the primary. It didn't seem like you
could write to the same disk from both nodes, which we need to do.

Server1 would run VM1 and VM2.
Server2 would run VM3 and VM4.

If something happened to Server1 we want to bring VM1 and VM2 up on
Server2 in a state as close as possible to when Server1 went down.

Hopefully all of that made sense. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
James