RE: [Xen-users] [XCP] Strange bug this avaible memory for guests

To: 'George Shuklin' <nge@xxxxxxxx>, "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] [XCP] Strange bug this avaible memory for guests
From: Dave Scott <Dave.Scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 20:40:30 +0100
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Delivery-date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 12:45:11 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi George,

I think I can explain this one, comments inline:
> I got really strange situation with memory on host:
>

> xe host-list params=memory-free
> memory-free ( RO)    : 10305536
> (10Mb)

I bet this is the same value as "free_pages" (suitably converted) as shown by
  /opt/xensource/debug/xenops physinfo

This represents the actual free memory on the host at this point in time. I bet
you've configured VM.dynamic_min and VM.dynamic_max so that most memory is
being shared between the VMs. The ballooning daemon (squeezed) always keeps
9-10MiB free on the host because (IIRC)
* only free memory with physical addresses < 4 GiB (IIRC) can be used for
certain xen structures
* xen allocates memory from the highest physical address downwards
=> therefore the 10MiB we keep free will be 10MiB with low physical addresses
which can be used for certain xen structures

I think before we kept this memory free we got into bad states where there was
lots of memory free but you couldn't create a domain. If we had something like
memory defrag then we could let this number drop to 0, which would be ideal
because it would represent maximum memory utilization.

> xe host-compute-free-memory
> 3147059200
> (3Gb)

I had to look into the code to understand this one :) This function is
calculating, "the maximum amount of memory we *could* free if we ballooned
every domain down to its VM.dynamic_min". This is the amount of memory which is
considered when deciding whether we could in theory start another VM.

Does that help explain what's going on or are there still discrepancies?

Cheers,
Dave