Re: [Xen-users] Aoe or iScsi???

To: Adi Kriegisch <kriegisch@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Aoe or iScsi???
From: Bart Coninckx <bart.coninckx@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 15:09:57 +0200
Cc: gilberto.nunes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 06:11:18 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Monday 05 July 2010 14:58:42 Adi Kriegisch wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > > Answer your questions:
> > >
> > > I'm use vblade. Why??? Is not the better thing??? Actually I never use
> > > another piece of software..
> > >
> > > I'm with about 13 VM: 12 with Windows 2003 Server and 1 with Debian
> > > Lenny...
> > >
> > > Between Nas and Xen server I have a dedicated Gigabyte crossover
> > > connection, with cable cat 5e...
> >
> > You run 13 Windows machines of one gigabit connection and SATA disks?!?
> > Man, that is pushing it. But I'm glad to hear your only complaint is
> > "sometimes feeling slow".
>
> I agree... Just adding a second Gigabit interface may improve the
> situation. ;-)
>
> But (see my other mail as well): Use another AoE target implementation!
> (ggaoed is your friend. It will handle the load balancing of multiple
> interfaces automatically, as will the aoe driver -- aoe6-75 is the current
> one)
>
> Another thing that comes to my mind is the amount of disks you have. I'd
> say a not too busy Windows machine will fill up 1/3rd of the I/O pipe of a
> single SATA disk (I am not talking about peak performance). So you'll need
> 13*(1/3)= ~5 disks to satisfy 'normal' and idle load. Then add one disk for
> RAID5. So 6 disks in a RAID5 will feel a little slow when one VM starts to
> work... You will probably need more disks and/or faster disks.
>
> -- Adi

I agree on that, start off with your local storage. If it hits the 120 MB/sec
ceiling, start highering your network bandwidth.
13 is a sh*tload of Windows guests, they need to be pampered with quite some
I/O. Using RAID50 might make up for not having SAS if you use enough drives.