RE: [Xen-users] Aoe or iScsi???

To: <gilberto.nunes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Aoe or iScsi???
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 22:18:10 +1000
Delivery-date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 05:19:16 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Hi people...
>
> Here we use Xen 4 with Debian Lenny... We're using kernel 2.6.31.13
> pvops...
> As a storage system, we use AoE devices...
> So, we installed VM's on AoE partition... The "NAS" server is a Intel
> based baremetal with SATA hard disc...
>
> However, sometime I feeling that VM's is so slow...
>
> Also, all VM has GPLPV drivers installed...
>
> So, I am thing about change AoE to iSCSCI...
>
> However, I have many doubt with this procedure... Is it iSCSI better
> than AoE???

Over a single 'server' class network interface, iSCSI is probably better than
AoE due to the TCP offload functions found in such adapters.

If you are using the reference 'vblade' implementation of the AoE server then
it is definitely known to suck performance-wise (see list archives for a
discussion).

I think the only way to be sure in your case is to set up iSCSI and AoE and run
some performance tests yourself. We can argue the theoretical benefits of each
on the list as much as we like, but the only way to be sure for yourself is to
do some testing for yourself :)

James