Re: [Xen-users] Xen in Linux distributions

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 9:39 PM, Mike Viau <viaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 07:02:37 -0700 <grantmasterflash@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I think the
>> future is just using a Xen Distro like XCP or Xenserver. The Dom0 is a
>> "product" as apposed to being Linux with an added package.

In my place, we've invested considerable amount of time maintaining
our own "local" version of RHEL, with custom packages added to make it
easier for us to manage. Not to mention building sysadmin capability.
In that environment, it's much easier for us to think of Xen as
simply another package that you can install with yum. That way we can
leverage existing resource and skills.  We even have our own version
of Xen 4 and 2.6.34 dom0 kernel (for dev purposes), also installable
via yum.

Yes, RHEL6 won't have Xen dom0, but RH will still support it for the
length of RHEL5 lifetime. And it's been great so far.

>>I'm probably migrating all of my CentOS/Xen 3.4 machines to XCP in the
>> future.

I had a bad initial impression of XCP. Perhaps it's because I tried
the early 0.1 release. Let me know when you finally use it in
production environment; that might be a good time for me to try XCP
again.

> So was XCP built of of Linux from scratch? If that is the case then the xen
> "product" is still a form of Linux is it not?

It's based on Centos.

--
Fajar