RE: [Xen-users] AoE vs iSCSI

To: "Markus Hochholdinger" <Markus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] AoE vs iSCSI
From: Jeff Sturm <jeff.sturm@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 09:32:43 -0400
Cc: Chris 'Xenon' Hanson <xenon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 06:37:13 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

AoE devices
> over one NIC you get on one AoE device bad througput and a high load
on the system.
> iSCSI with lots (testet with over 200) of LUNs will performe very
good. I was able to
> get a little more than 100MByte/s over one 1GBit/s NIC with iSCSI!

All other things being equal, one protocol should not outperform the
other by such a wide margin.  Your results obviously will depend on the
quality of the implementation--i.e. whether you've chosen one of the
open source AoE targets, or you are using a storage appliance with AoE,
which OS/driver version, etc.

AoE performance is also highly dependent on your network.  Always use
jumbo frames and hardware flow control.  If you have a switch that
doesn't handle these, get a new switch.

-Jeff