RE: [Xen-users] Windows guest, swap space, separate disk?

To: "'Brandon Lamb'" <brandonlamb@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Windows guest, swap space, separate disk?
From: "Dustin Henning" <Dustin.Henning@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 08:58:46 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 06:00:04 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        If swap is disable, a drive is defragmented, and swap is created (say
5000-5000 as you suggest), it should be one contiguous file.  If it is created
3500-5000 and eventually expands, then the swap will have fragments, the number
would depend on the fragmentation of the drive.  That having been said, I would
argue that it is silly to make swap on a different virtual drive where the two
drives are the same physical drive.  Any OS performance difference he saw was
a) due to his practices b) coincidental due to the location of the files in
question, or c) pure placebo effect.  That having been said, if the user only
wants to back up the drive images and isn't worried about the swap images,
having a separate swap image suddenly means an extra 5 GiB that doesn't need
copied every time there is a backup performed, that could certainly constitute
a performance difference (all things being equal, copying a 20 GiB file will
take twice as long as copying a 10GiB file).
        Dustin