Re: [Xen-users] Windows guest, swap space, separate disk?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Windows guest, swap space, separate disk?
From: Brandon Lamb <brandonlamb@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 22:35:32 -0700
Delivery-date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 22:36:48 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=NXonad6vXWZD8gWj0hIR3bGoN4vi+n8Z2sVIsJe7GTQ=; b=q1DDKa5ojejtaqlIvYzA8FsuKjkErSZKizDcw4zzvV0bZwFBX/utSAhpgtFnf4TnK3 fnZWxPZxyK01VNhmfHOEQn3uA5kbDQeLIesMcmS1HgLh494giDW2TlxuyzHlUEZCihwx jTxCNyF13bh93b5v29yuc5SKI9Ze5+decZL3E=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 10:29 PM, Brandon Lamb <brandonlamb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 10:23 PM, Nathan Eisenberg
> <nathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> First and foremost - I believe LVM's are faster than disk images, so if
>> you're looking for performance, I would start there.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Nathan Eisenberg

Although a problem with the all lvm block level method is ok so when
we create a manual backup of the live disk, we would do

dd if=/dev/volumes/cust1-live of=/dev/volumes/cust1-backup

This only will happen once in a great while, after major software
changes and such. But now we also want a remote backup machine to have
a DR copy of cust1-backup, so disk space wise we would have to have

(size of cust1-live) + (size of cust1-backup) + (size of dd
if=/dev/volumes/cust1-backup of=/backups/cust1.img)

Hah hope that is not over complicating it but not sure how else you
would handle that