RE: [Xen-users] How do I get Windows licenses for virtual machines?

To: "Anthony Wright" <anthony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Nathan Eisenberg" <nathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] How do I get Windows licenses for virtual machines?
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 09:16:03 +1100
Delivery-date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 14:16:47 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> I'd prefer to go down the Windows XP Pro/Windows 7 Pro route as I'm
told
> the licensing costs are dramatically lower compared to Server 200x,
and
> this isn't a high traffic system.
>
> SPLA sounds interesting but there seems to be some confusion over
> whether an OEM license for the box is a pre-requisite to be able to
use
> SPLA licensing. The problem with the OEM license is that we normally
run
> only linux on our boxes so we buy bare metal hardware. However, at a
> later date we may want to install Windows XP Pro/Windows 7 Pro in a
DomU
> on the box, but I'm told that I'm not allowed to retrospectively buy
an
> OEM license for a box once it has left the manufacturer. Since I can't
> get an OEM license for the box it seems that we're not eligible for
> Volume licensing, and I'm trying to clarify whether that means I'm not
> eligible for SPLA licensing too.
>
> If you know the answer if have any suggestions I'd really appreciate
it.

Microsoft Licensing have all the answers on those questions - give them
a call. I am almost certain that an OEM license is not a requirement
(SPLA is ideally suited to virtualised environments), but Microsoft
Licensing will confirm it one way or the other.

James