Re: [Xen-users] How do I get Windows licenses for virtual machines?

To: Nathan Eisenberg <nathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] How do I get Windows licenses for virtual machines?
From: Anthony Wright <anthony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 17:10:08 +0000
Delivery-date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 09:11:27 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'd prefer to go down the Windows XP Pro/Windows 7 Pro route as I'm told
the licensing costs are dramatically lower compared to Server 200x, and
this isn't a high traffic system.

SPLA sounds interesting but there seems to be some confusion over
whether an OEM license for the box is a pre-requisite to be able to use
SPLA licensing. The problem with the OEM license is that we normally run
only linux on our boxes so we buy bare metal hardware. However, at a
later date we may want to install Windows XP Pro/Windows 7 Pro in a DomU
on the box, but I'm told that I'm not allowed to retrospectively buy an
OEM license for a box once it has left the manufacturer. Since I can't
get an OEM license for the box it seems that we're not eligible for
Volume licensing, and I'm trying to clarify whether that means I'm not
eligible for SPLA licensing too.

If you know the answer if have any suggestions I'd really appreciate it.

thanks,

Anthony