Re: [Xen-users] Installing the latest Xen for domain-0

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 11:45 PM, Fajar A. Nugraha <fajar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 5:27 PM, Daniel Lam <daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> - Is "3.1.2-164.9.1.el5" a good enough version?

Depends on what you need. It's well maintained with uptodate security
fixes, and should be enough for most purposes.
Many people (including myself) use it on production environment. Do
you have any particular use case in mind?

> In general is the Xen
> version
>   from "yum install" in CentOS close to the most recent release?

Not realy. Most recent stable Xen release is 3.4.2. The again, newest
does not always mean best.

> - If I want to install the latest stable release, Xen 3.4, is the only way
>   by downloading the source tarball in the Xen homepage and install by
> compiling?

If you use x86_64, you can install Gitco's RPM
(http://www.gitco.de/repo/) on top of Centos. That would give you Xen
3.4.2 hypervisor and userland (which gives you access to some newer
features like the ability to add vcpus online to PV domU), while still
using Centos' kernel-xen. This is the easiest and widely-used way, but
some of the newer features (like scsi passthrough) will not work
(since you still use old dom0 kernel).

Again, what particular use do you have in mind?

--
Fajar

Got it.. thanks for explaining.

It's just a normal 32-bit PC and I'm using it for development,
to create a few domain-Us for various development/testing environments.
I would like to create one or two Windows XP instances in it as well if I can,
but they'll only be used for special testing and will be shutdown most of the time.

I suppose I'll just use whatever is included from yum then.
The Xen version from Debian 5.0 Lenny (3.2.0) seems to have various
sorts of problems - I'm hoping that this one from CentOS won't.

Daniel