[Xen-users] Installing the latest Xen for domain-0

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Installing the latest Xen for domain-0
From: Daniel Lam <daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 21:27:41 +1100
Delivery-date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 02:28:21 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi All,

I'm still trying to figure out the basics of using Xen and have a question
about how to get the latest Xen for dom0.

I tried Debian 5.0 Lenny as Dom-0, by running apt-get to install Xen.
That gives me Xen 3.2 which still have quite a few problems, like
not able to use the xen clocksource in dom-U.

Then I tried Cent OS 5.4 as Dom-0, by running yum to get the latest packages.
This time the Xen version I get is "3.1.2-164.9.1.el5", and it is actually
Xen 3.1.2 + patches from Redhat with ports from newer Xen versions.

So here are my questions:

- Is "3.1.2-164.9.1.el5" a good enough version? In general is the Xen version
  from "yum install" in CentOS close to the most recent release?

- If I want to install the latest stable release, Xen 3.4, is the only way
  by downloading the source tarball in the Xen homepage and install by compiling?

Thanks!

Daniel