Re: [Xen-users] Scary!!! Lost domU!!!

On Fri, 2010-01-01 at 14:07 -0500, Jamon Camisso wrote:
> James Pifer wrote:
> > I've been on vacation (and still am) but had to work on a couple
> > problems. I have a couple Citrix servers that are domU's on a sles10sp2
> > server that has local storage and connects to two ocfs2 volumes.
>
> Is there more than just the sles server using both volumes? If not, have
> you considered using another filesystem? Personally I've had nothing but
> trouble with ocfs2 in Debian and Centos -- clusters would just randomly
> fall apart. I've also found that unless filesystem throughput is very
> good, ocfs2 would end up loosing writes by getting ahead of itself
> somehow. All depends on the storage backend I suppose.

I think I know what happened in this case. After a lot of thought, I
believe the blunder was mine. I remember working with this specific domU
in early December. I was moving it from my dev machine with local
storage to the cluster. I did not realize how much space it was actually
using, so after copying I decided it would best to leave it on local
storage since it was not a super critical system.

Here's when I'm speculating. Somewhere along the way I think I screwed
up and did bring the domU up on the ocfs2 cluster or I had already
modified the config. I then started it back up before deleting the one I
just copied. I then tried to delete the copy on ocfs2 while it was
running. Not sure why I may have stopped here when it did not delete,
maybe side tracked, don't know. In any case I'm thinking they were
marked for deletion.

Then after Christmas I had to reboot the server for a different problem.
When I stopped the domU, or during reboot, the file deletion actually
took place. Thankfully I still had a copy of it. Wouldn't have been the
end of the world except for work rebuilding it.

I'm not sure if that is even possible but that's what I'm thinking.
Other than that my ocfs2 cluster has been solid on sles. Been using it
for quite some time, well over a year I think.

Thanks,
James