Re: [Xen-users] Prohibit to run Xen inside guest VM?

To: Jun Koi <junkoi2004@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Prohibit to run Xen inside guest VM?
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 09:24:02 +0700
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 18:24:38 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 9:09 AM, Jun Koi <junkoi2004@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking around to find an ISP that provides Xen VM, so I can run
> whatever OS I want inside the rented guest VM.

usually you don't get to run "whatever OS". Amazon EC2 is a good
example. Look at what OS they support.

> A question: have anybody seen an ISP that prohibits to run nested
> hypervisor (Xen in this case) inside the rented guest VM? Or they
> usually allow us to do anything with our VM?

Technically the only way you could run nested Xen is by using a HVM
domU. Even then you'd get close to dead snail performance, and you can
only have PV guests.

> In case they are OK with that, I can install Xen inside the guest VM,
> I plan to run several few VMs on Xen there, so my guest VM is more or
> less like a normal physical machine hired from that ISP.

You might be better of with managed dedicated servers. Seriously. It's
available under $100/mo (search "dedicated server" on google).
However, if you plan to use it for Xen, I highly recommend you get
ones with remote console, which might be somewhat more expensive.

--
Fajar