Re: [Xen-users] Xenned box becomes unresponsive

To: flo <flo@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xenned box becomes unresponsive
From: Andrew Lyon <andrew.lyon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 19:24:48 +0000
Cc: Svoop <svoop@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 11:25:33 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=K8K4QbMdqs5184EAbTNXCMoMWNjwE4UoNJgdijP025g=; b=PQZLp1PM3h3TpjWsrwNSYT27SYXmfeG+pyVVS3xTYVrsm4kQysQyuObHlT21bGqfc6 9IKQ7CXb2vno+BwjfxTNEUjC8dE/y9Bog4OfVoPogEzedRRDO+ZpsSQB4Z/CGcV+tk71 HKAduTZrLqz9SwjMY+hlcu5B4HqBomraGC2GA=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 4:22 PM, flo <flo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It limits the machine to 4G:
>
> mem=xxx
>    Set the physical RAM address limit. Any RAM appearing beyond this
> physical address in the memory map will be ignored. This parameter may
> be specified with a B, K, M or G suffix, representing bytes, kilobytes,
> megabytes and gigabytes respectively. The default unit, if no suffix is
> specified, is kilobytes.
>
> http://tx.downloads.xensource.com/downloads/docs/user/#SECTION04130000000000000000
>
> On 12/14/2009 04:19 PM, Svoop wrote:
>>

>> Florian Gleixner wrote:
>>>
>>> "mem=4G" as parameter for the xen hypervisor in grub:
>>>

>> Do the 4G have to reflect the real memory or is it part of the workaround to
>> always set it to 4G? I'd like to try on another box which has 8G.

I have had similar problems with openSUSE dom0 kernels newer than
2.6.29, today Jan Beulich identified a problem which first appeared in
2.6.28 but which was masked by swiotlb settings in 2.6.29, he sent me
a patch which seems to have fixed the problem as my system has been
running 2.6.31.7 for 3 hours under heavy load with no issues at all,
previously it would crash or lockup within minutes of starting some
domU's, so you may want to try using a 11.2 or head kotd kernel from
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/kernel/kotd/ in a few days time once
Jan has committed a final version of the fix.

Once .31 is completely stable I will release a rebased set of minimal
dom0 openSUSE patches as I've done before and which I hope to get
added to the Gentoo portage tree and will maintain for as long as
openSUSE 11.2 is maintained, I will also continue to update the 2.6.29
ebuild and patches and plan to track kotd master (currently .32) until
pv_ops is fully mature and functional, up until now the most up to
date reliable version was 2.6.29 but with this new patch .31 is
looking very positive.

Andy