Re: [Xen-users] New to the community - a few questions

To: Henrique Machado <henrique.cicuto@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] New to the community - a few questions
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 05:27:55 +0700
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 14:28:33 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 3:47 AM, Henrique Machado
<henrique.cicuto@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I´m new to the list and I´m doing some research on all virtualization
> products and solutions avaiable, and I have two questions about Xen:

You listed three, not two :)

> - Does it use have memory overcommitment techniques (ballooning, TMPS,
> swapping)?

Kinda. The general answer would be NO.
However, with the help of userland program running on PV domUs, you
could implement dynamic ballooning so it would achieve the effect of
memory overcommit
(http://blog.xen.org/index.php/2008/08/27/xen-33-feature-memory-overcommit/)

> - Does it do software thin provisioning?

Somewhat. I'd say it's not really xen-specific though. Examples:
- using sparse-file as domU storage
- using snapshot/clone feature of underlying storage (LVM, zfs, etc.)

> - I read it has a very strong point when using paravirtualization with
> Linux systems. Does it have any other kind of virtualization method,
> like full?

Yes. You need hardware that supports that as well though.
Also, for acceptable performance in full virtualization (HVM), you'd
need to install PV drivers (usually called "guest additions" in other
virtualization technology).

--
Fajar