[Xen-users] Xen 3.4 + GPLPV + physical drive or partition

To: Xen Users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen 3.4 + GPLPV + physical drive or partition
From: Ken Cobler <kcobler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 15:32:49 -0600
Delivery-date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 13:31:37 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello.

I have an odd problem, but, easy to replicate.

Xen 3.4 + GPLPV + Windows 2003 guest. I've tried this on both 0.10.0.138 and 0.10.0.142 drivers.

If the hard drive is an image file (loaded and set in the xen config file), Windows 2003 guest boots and runs great with the GPLPV drivers.

If the hard drive is a physical drive or partition, Windows 2003 guest boots and runs fine with the QEMU drivers.

If the hard drive is a physical drive or partition, Windows 2003 guest boots and runs with the GPLPV drivers for about 3-5 minutes. At the time, the entire machine locks up and I have to power cycle machine to recover (no mouse, or keyboard response).

I even took the crashed Windows 2003 partition, dd copied to a file, setup xen to point to the image file instead of phy device. The Windows 2003 guest came up with the GPLPV drivers and ran great.

Is there something else that I am not doing correct to get the Windows 2003 guest to run stable with the GPLPV drivers on a physical partition?

Ken Cobler