Re: [Xen-users] multiple vlan in dom0 and domu

To: Xen User-List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] multiple vlan in dom0 and domu
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 08:53:36 +0700
Delivery-date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 17:54:15 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 2:44 AM, Simon Hobson <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Vladimir Elizarov wrote:
>
>> I use a script network-multi vlan and network-bridge-vlan for multiple
>> VLANs in domu.

That can be ... a pain :P
It'd be easier if you just use your OS networking script to create
bridges an vlan

> I see two ways of doing this, I'm sure someone will be along soon enough to
> say which is easiest to set up and use - and if both options are actually
> possible.
>
> 1) Attach the physical interface to a single bridge, and then every vif will
> automatically get access to all VLANs. Each DomU will have to be configured
> for VLAN operation. I'm assuming here that the bridge will just
> transparently forward tagged packets

Yup. At least this works on RHEL. Last time I check it doesn't work on
newest Opensolaris dom0 though.

> - would you need to adjust MTU ?

Usually, no. Not if you have a common NIC and stable drivers. It used
to be a problem for newer NICs with buggy drivers.

> 2) Attach each VLAN to a separate bridge - so each bridge is carrying
> untagged packets for a specific LAN. Then you would configure DomUs with as
> many interfaces as there are LANs they need to connect to - the DomU is NOT
> configured for VLANs as it now has a separate interface on each LAN.

I post a sample configuration for RHEL/Centos on this list that does just that.

--
Fajar