[Xen-users] Re: Announcing the Release of the World's First 64-bit Build

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: Announcing the Release of the World's First 64-bit Build of Google's Chromium OS with Xen Virtualization Support
From: "Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)" <space.time.universe@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 03:50:04 +0800
Cc: space.time.universe@xxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 11:51:14 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type; bh=V7SX3gvow2RtVi4n4gb0mEp/30oFvc7eMRuR4fZhkvM=; b=GKekgSjh/IxTg5jzUDtCU++YXfMjTUkmzuKmbIjVO9/L5lue5yv0waqMUkjHhIiPLU pHSfxxVx8CMShvBLaPQ7Urrknn3dAntGunqFgel/cvnSTKFi8vbDXiF86cXjz902H+72 YROcohSfZuiXWQhKArBeQ/I1/tu7Uur0/CM38=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Detailed Instructions for Installing and Running Windows XP HVM Virtual Machine on the Bundled Xen 3.4.3-RC1-pre + 64-bit Google Chrome OS Live USB Image

After verifying that the installation and execution of Fedora 11 Linux PV virtual machine works with the bundled Xen 3.4.3-rc1-pre + 64-bit Google Chrome OS, I proceeded to installing and running Windows XP as a HVM virtual machine.

Here are the exact steps:

Remount the root filesystem (/) in read-write mode.

$ sudo mount -o remount,rw /

Start the xend daemon.

$ sudo service xend start

Configure Xen networking.

$ sudo ifconfig eth0 up

$ sudo dhclient eth0

Check that the dynamic configuration of network interface eth0 works.

$ sudo ifconfig eth0

Check that the entries in the kernel routing table are correct.

$ route

Check that the domain name servers have been configured correctly by the DHCP protocol.

$ cat /etc/resolv.conf

Mount the disk partition containing disk images of all the virtual machines.

$ sudo mount /dev/sdc4 /virtualmachines

$ cd /virtualmachines

Create a 5 GB virtual harddisk for installing Windows XP as a virtual machine.

$ sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=windows-xp.img bs=1 count=1 seek=5G

$ cd /etc/xen

Configure firewalling rules.

Allow incoming VNC connections.

$ sudo iptables -I INPUT 4 -p tcp --dport 5900 -j ACCEPT

Set the default firewall policies to ACCEPT for the FORWARD and OUTPUT chains.

$ sudo iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT

$ sudo iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT

Create Windows XP HVM virtual machine configuration file.

$ sudo vi windows

import os, re
arch = os.uname()[4]
if re.search('64', arch):
    arch_libdir = 'lib64'
else:
    arch_libdir = 'lib'

kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
builder='hvm'
memory = 3072

# Should be at least 2KB per MB of domain memory, plus a few MB per vcpu.
shadow_memory = 8
name = "winxphome32"
vif = [ 'bridge=eth0' ]
acpi = 1
apic = 1
disk = [ 'file:/virtualmachines/windows-xp.img,hda,w', 'phy:/dev/sr0,hdc:cdrom,r' ]

device_model = '/usr/lib/xen/bin/qemu-dm'

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# boot on floppy (a), hard disk (c) or CD-ROM (d)
# default: hard disk, cd-rom, floppy
boot="cd"
sdl=0
vnc=1
vnclisten="<IP address of domain 0>"
vncdisplay=0
vncconsole=0
vncpasswd=''

serial='pty'
usbdevice='tablet'

Start the Windows XP HVM virtual machine.

$ sudo xm create windows

You will need to use a VNC viewer on another computer or laptop to remote in on the Windows XP virtual machine installation.

For example,

$ vncviewer <IP address of domain 0>

or

$ xtightvncviewer <IP address of domain 0>

Follow through the Windows XP virtual machine installation and you are done. Using the same concept outlined above, you can also create Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2003, and/or Windows Server 2008 virtual machines with the bundled Xen 3.4.3-rc1-pre + 64-bit Google Chrome OS Live USB image.

--
Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) Dip(Mechatronics) BEng(Hons)(Mechanical Engineering)
Alma Maters: