Re: [Xen-users] TAPE on guest

To: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] TAPE on guest
From: Nicolas Michel <nicolas.michel@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 10:31:21 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 01:32:11 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Pasi Kärkkäinen a écrit :
On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 11:37:59AM +0100, Nicolas Michel wrote:
James Harper a écrit :
Hello,

I have a server with a tape. Of course my dom0 see it but I don't want
to manage backups from dom0 and want to do it with a guest. In that
case
I need to show the tape to the guest. I don't know how to do it. Is
there more than one way?

If it's a SCSI tape, or even if Linux sees it as a SCSI tape, you should
be able to use scsi passthrough.

James

I'm using Xen in Debian Lenny (packages). Could you give me a link or
some hints that could help me? I searched on the web but didn't find yet
how to do it.

I don't think Debian lenny Xen debs include the scsi passthrough
(pvscsi) feature/support.

which implementation of xen would you recommend? I didn't chosen citrix one's because I don't like having only a windows xen client and on the other hand I like working directly with files and commands. In that case, when something crash I can manage the problem more easily as I could if I used to work with a web interface or an application client.

You need newer Xen and dom0 kernel versions.

-- Pasi