[Xen-users] difference between Xen and Dom0 kernel

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] difference between Xen and Dom0 kernel
From: Tapas Mishra <tapas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 14:17:41 +0530
Delivery-date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 00:48:18 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I want to know what is the difference between Xen and a Dom 0 kernel.
Then using Xen hypervisor and xen tools what are they.
On this page http://www.xen.org/products/xen_source.html
Xen Hypervisor is mentioned is it different from Xen
What I am not clear is if you take another example Mplayer
and you think of Xen as Mplayer then the tools like playing movie
increasing decreasing volume are equivalent to the the control panels
Xen Hypervisor why does one need Xen Hypervisor.
If I download Hypervisor do I need to install Xen also to run and
compile a Dom0 kernel.
I have successful compiled Linux kernels in past for using IPTABLEs
etc and I am good into programming but this Xen thing has confused me
a lot.I am new to Xen.Is Xen a software then what is Xen Hypervisor
and then where do we get tools to use them.
What I simply want to do is use virtualization from existing solutions
and I found Xen one of them so how should I proceed.