RE: [Xen-users] Problem DomU Windows NT

To: "Alexandre CABROL PERALES" <alexandre.cabrol@xxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Problem DomU Windows NT
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 10:26:36 +1000
Delivery-date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 17:27:26 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Hello,
> i'm currently working on Debian Lenny x86_64 (kernel
2.6.26-2-xen-amd64).

> I have my VT flag on and already installed linux distribution in HVM
> mode. I did test to install debian not modified in HVM mode and it
works
> well.
>
> Currently i'm trying to run Windows NT as DomU on my server.
> I've got bluescreen (see joined png file).
>
> message start with:
> p5-0000 irql:1e SYSVER 0xf0000565
>
> Do you have any idea?

According to the docs, bug check 0x3E is:

"
Bug Check 0x3E: MULTIPROCESSOR_CONFIGURATION_NOT_SUPPORTED
The MULTIPROCESSOR_CONFIGURATION_NOT_SUPPORTED bug check has a value of
0x0000003E. This indicates that the system has multiple processors, but
they are asymmetric in relation to one another.

Parameters
None

Cause
In order to be symmetric, all processors must be of the same type and
level. This system contains processors of different types (for example,
a Pentium processor and an 80486 processor).
"

So... for whatever reason, NT thinks you have multiple CPU's and that
they are different. Clearly, based on your config, it is wrong about
that.

Try adding apic=0 and acpi=0 to your config.

I see you have already tried tinkering with the CPUID value. You might
need to do this a bit more but I can't think what else you'd need to
change.

Also, you have maxmem specified in your config. When I do this in 3.4.1,
Windows thinks that I actually have maxmem amount of memory and dom0/xen
crashes as soon as Windows tries to access the 'phantom' memory between
'memmory' and 'maxmem'. It seemed to work fine in 3.3.x though.

James