Re: [Xen-users] iscsi/nfs/aoe SAN storage for Xen

2009/7/7 Ingard Mevåg <ingard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> any opinion if opensolaris would be a good choice? Im wondering if there
> will be any differences in performance, or if its mostly limited by the hw.
> As for features, snapshotting with zfs sounds nice..

Opensolaris has it's own Xen implementation. It's one of the
vendor-supported implementations, so if you're thinking of using
Opensolaris for domm0, in support terms it would be a good choice.

If you're using it only as storage server, AFAIK nfs performance
should be comparable to that of Linux, while iscsi better. However,
with opensolaris you could greatly increase nfs performance (depending
on the kind of load) by using SSD for ZIL (kinda like write cache) to
reduce latency (which would be critical for synchronous applications).

Note that opensolaris is still in active development. Although it's
usable in current state, some things currently don't work or is not as
ideal as it should be. For example:
- virt-manager (it doesn't matter if you create your domUs by hand like I do)
- the new scsi target framework (COMSTAR) can provide even better
performance, but not installed by default.

--
Fajar