Re: [Xen-users] Difference performances between HVM and PV guest in har

To: Xen User-List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Difference performances between HVM and PV guest in hard disc reading
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 05:36:10 +0700
Delivery-date: Sun, 24 May 2009 15:36:52 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 7:25 PM,  <helicoterus-elih@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I perform some tests to get hard disc performance differences between HVM
> domU and a paravirtualized one (both Debian Lenny).

first of all, make sure you do NOT use file:/ in domU config. At least
use tap:aio:

> I used hdparm ( option -t and -T) to test cache of disc and disc sequential
> read.
> Syntax is:
> hdparm -t|-T /dev/hda1
>
> hdparm -t for hvm returns about 30 MB/sec, wheras hdparm -t for PV return
> about 180 MB/sec.

This is normal. HVM by default should have MUCH lower disk throughput.
That's why HVM domUs need PV drivers for both Linux (included by
default on RHEL/Centos 5.3, not available yet for newer kernels) and
Windows (like GPLPV).

> hdparm -T for hvm returns about 1247 MB/sec, wheras hdparm -T for PV return
> about 1183 MB/sec.

-T is cached result. Repeat this several times and you should find
similar output for both PV and HVM.

--
Fajar