Re: [Xen-users] OpenSuse 10.3 - Xen 3.1.0 - VIF for DomU not recording

To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] OpenSuse 10.3 - Xen 3.1.0 - VIF for DomU not recording transmitted bits correctly
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 08:52:48 +0700
Delivery-date: Sun, 03 May 2009 18:53:35 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 6:37 AM, Joseph King <joking@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Upon creating a DomU (Ubuntu 8.04) instance named rudy I get a vif
> (also named rudy) which I can observe using ifconfig on Dom0:
>
> rudy      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr FE:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF
>         inet6 addr: fe80::fcff:ffff:feff:ffff/64 Scope:Link
>         UP BROADCAST RUNNING NOARP  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>         RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>         TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:13 overruns:0 carrier:0
>         collisions:0 txqueuelen:32
>         RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

How did you create the domU?
By default the interfaces (on Xen 3.3.1 anyway) should be named
vifxxx.y or tap xxx.y, where xxx is the domain ID and y is the vif
number on domU (0 for eth0). You COULD change the names, of course.

> The problem is that RX never changes in the ifconfig view and TX only
> records an increasing amount of dropped packets. The RX bytes and TX
> bytes remain zero no matter how much traffic is generated by the DomU
> guest. vif0.1, eth1, peth1 all record increased traffic in ifconfig
> when my DomU guest is generating network traffic.

Is it PV or HVM guest?
HVM guest create two interfaces : tap and vif. Tap is used when using
unmodified drivers (domU will see it as realtek NIC by default), while
the vif one is used when you use PV drivers. Perhaps you're looking at
the wrong interface. Do a "brctl show" to get list of interfaces on
that bridge.

Regards,

Fajar