[Xen-users] OpenSuse 10.3 - Xen 3.1.0 - VIF for DomU not recording trans

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] OpenSuse 10.3 - Xen 3.1.0 - VIF for DomU not recording transmitted bits correctly
From: Joseph King <joking@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 17:37:23 -0600
Delivery-date: Sun, 03 May 2009 16:38:10 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I would like to track DomU bandwidth usage from Dom0 but my OpenSuse
Xen install is not tracking DomU bandwidth correctly. My DomU guests
are able to access the network and therefore the networking layer
appears to be working correctly. It just doesn't report the traffic
correctly in ifconfig.

I am currently running OpenSuse10.3 with Xen 3.1.0_15042-51.3 running
a xen kernel 2.6.22.17-0.1. The installation is rather plain with
nothing added other than apache and some apache modules.

Upon creating a DomU (Ubuntu 8.04) instance named rudy I get a vif
(also named rudy) which I can observe using ifconfig on Dom0:

rudy      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr FE:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF
         inet6 addr: fe80::fcff:ffff:feff:ffff/64 Scope:Link
         UP BROADCAST RUNNING NOARP  MTU:1500  Metric:1
         collisions:0 txqueuelen:32
         RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

The problem is that RX never changes in the ifconfig view and TX only
records an increasing amount of dropped packets. The RX bytes and TX
bytes remain zero no matter how much traffic is generated by the DomU
guest. vif0.1, eth1, peth1 all record increased traffic in ifconfig
when my DomU guest is generating network traffic.

Any ideas how I can get things working? Alternatively, suggestions on
how to track DomU bandwidth usage on OpenSuse 10.3 would also be
welcome.

j.