Re: [Xen-users] Firewalling Xen?

To: "Thomas Goirand" <thomas@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Firewalling Xen?
From: "Grant McWilliams" <grantmasterflash@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 09:53:09 -0800
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 09:53:50 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=Piyt394OrO4mKLw6BCdrnqwNS6hwwnF+8rWLiiRuato=; b=s/+HF/5DEbpj9QleNpOHZACVmMhzRn8if/v/lrjhAqo+X19i58mgOXmNRiaT7SmRi3 WED9FALp6z+CoG6j/8FLKxTFSthLi4dejHYiTqdK0TRyN6+4m/q/uOWDtn2kC7bCjmSe y2uUx+jWsNKCtlqpi+RMjCxWJjZMmkU9VZaEc=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Grant McWilliams

Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use Windows."
Now they have two problems.

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 9:01 AM, Thomas Goirand <thomas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I'm wondering how to setup a firewall for Dom0 when all traffic for the DomUs go 'through' it.

Hi,

as we do commercial VPS hosting with xen and our own open source
management interface, we have designed a small anti-DoS firewall to
setup in your dom0. It does nothing spectacular, but it helps against
ssh dictionary attacks, and other very common flood types that might
hurt your server: ping, syn, etc.

http://git.gplhost.com/gitweb/?p=dtc-xen.git;a=blob;f=debian/dtc-xen.init;h=5e4df2e46e3a872a2d73ada77e24e8bb242f8b6b;hb=a75a32b23d6dde71dc684045b3c2e7051c30e6fa

I'd be happy to have contributions in this small script that is by the
way very simple to extend (just add few functions for yourself and
share, then anybody can enable/disable them with ease.

Thomas

Don't you mean this ;-)

http://git.gplhost.com/gitweb/?p=dtc-xen.git;a=blob;f=debian/dtc-xen-firewall.init;h=16139921d6efd6fc2e407f7d80b11fae97befdf9;hb=a75a32b23d6dde71dc684045b3c2e7051c30e6fa

A bit off topic but can dtc-xen control it's users in a way that you can assign an admin per VM? What I'm looking for is to have each student manage
his and only his domU.

Grant McWilliams