Re: [Xen-users] Tutorial for Windows guest on Xen

On Thu, 2008-11-06 at 09:21 -0600, Paras pradhan wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 12:18 AM, Peter Privat
> <peter.privat@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>         Hello,
>
>         I'm looking for someone that can assist me on how to create
>         and run a
>         Windows guest on Xen. I'm about to make a Wiki with easy
>         tutorials on
>         how use the Xen. Plain and easy text that everyone should be
>         able to
>         follow and succeed with.
>
>         I've already finished a working tutorial on how to setup a
>         working Linux
>         guest, which I plan to publish at the same time as the Windows
>         guest
>         tutorial. I've searched the internet, trying to find existing
>         tutorials
>         regarding Windows guests on Xen. So far, only outdated ones
>         have turned
>         up. Even my own attempts trying to modify those old tutorials,
>         in order
>         to fit the more resent versions of Linux and Xen, resulted in
>         failure.
>
>         So, I would like to get some help, guidance or even get in
>         touch with
>         someone that actually managed to install and run Windows as a
>         guest, on
>         a recent version of a Linux host.
>
>         The software I intend to use in my Wiki tutorial, is:
>
>         Host: Linux Ubuntu Hardy (8.04 LTS) 64 bit.
>         Guest: Windows XP and Windows Server 2003
>
>         Best regards,
>         Peter

> This might help
>

> http://www.virtuatopia.com/index.php/Virtualizing_Windows_Server_2008_with_Xen
>

> Paras.

Hello Paras,

Thank you for the link.
I tried creating a guest like shown in the example, but only to receive
an error message when trying to start it.

# xm create /etc/xen/domu2.cfg

Using config file "/etc/xen/domu2.cfg".
Error: Device 768 (vbd) could not be connected.
losetup /dev/loop0 /home/xen/domains/win2k3/xenwin2k3.img failed

It seems to the same kind of error I got from my earlier attempts, when
trying to use some older examples I've found on the internet. Perhaps
there are something wrong or missing in my Xen installation. An Ubuntu
8.04 guest seems to work fine though.

The domu2.cfg file looks like this:
import os, re
arch = os.uname()[4]
if re.search('64', arch):
    arch_libdir = 'lib64'
else:
    arch_libdir = 'lib'

kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
builder='hvm'
memory = 1024

# Should be at least 2KB per MB of domain memory, plus a few MB per
vcpu.
shadow_memory = 8
name = "xenwin2k3"
vif = [ 'type=ioemu, bridge=xenbr0' ]
acpi = 1
apic = 1
disk = [ 'file:/home/xen/domains/win2k3/xenwin2k3.img,hda,w',
'file:/home/cc/iso-images/windows2k3/image.iso,hdc:cdrom,r' ]

device_model = '/usr/' + arch_libdir + '/xen/bin/qemu-dm'

# boot on floppy (a), hard disk (c) or CD-ROM (d)
# default: hard disk, cd-rom, floppy
boot="dc"
sdl=0
vnc=1