[Xen-users] Debian Etch, Xen 3.1.0 and multiple networks

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Debian Etch, Xen 3.1.0 and multiple networks
From: Jock Coats <jock.coats@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 16:13:19 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 08:14:17 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi there, I've been tearing my hair out for ages with this and still haven't got it to work:

I have Xen 3.1.0 running on Debian Etch (I used the Howtoforge document at http://www.howtoforge.com/debian_etch_xen_3.1 which worked great, though I suspect I messed things up a bit by trying to second guess the NATting and now I can't see any nbetwork from any of my DomUs). Anyway, I've done trawls through the web and this mailing list, and whilst I am sure my answer is out there I just do not understand what I am trying to do - despite buying two very good books on the subject as well so I hope someone here can help...

Dom0 has one ethernet card. My hosting company has allocated me three public IP addresses.

I have five DomUs - zimbra.jcsolutions.co.uk, backups.jcsolutions.co.uk, database.jcsolutions.co.uk, files.jcsolutions.co.uk and web.jcsolutions.co.uk

In layman's terms I need zimbra to be visible to the outside world with its own one of the three IP addresses (it needs to have an MX pointing to it and a pointer record to enable it to become my main mail server).

...and the others I need to be able to see each other, and to allow me to do port forwarding mainly just for web requests to be forwarded to web.jcsolutions.co.uk , but also possibly SMB forwarded to the files machine. Backups needs to be able to see the outside world so I can send copies "offsite".

From what I can work out I therefore need a "bridge" between one cloned interface on Dom0 and zimbra and the rest of them can be "NATted" with the relevant ipforwarding rules on Dom0.

eth0 is how I get to the Dom0. I would like something like eth0:1 to be bridged through to zimbra and eth0:0 to the other machines on the private VLAN.

Does that make sense? I hope so, then at least I'm describing the right scenario.

But I've read the notes on the "network-multinet" script and cannot work out what to do - it seems to be the sort of thing I should be using (or writing a script of my own I suppose).

Can anyone please assist, preferably in words of one, non-technical syllable. I gave up on Xen on Monday because of this issue and started using VirtualBox, but then returned to the fold for other reasons, but I've been struggling with this off and on for about two months in my spare time and I'm now absolutely desperate. It might even be worth a small amount of "beer money" if someone can help as I now only have a day left off work to get this up and running or it will maybe linger on another month (together with another onth's charges for my current machine I'm trying to migrate from!).

TIA,

Jock Coats
--
Jock Coats
Warden's Flat 1e, J Block Morrell Hall, OXFORD, OX3 0FF