Re: [Xen-users] xen without xenbr0

To: deshantm@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] xen without xenbr0
From: "Jia Rao" <rickenrao@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 23:48:55 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 20:49:35 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=hoNtYQO6V/bdfBpDrI1fDmi0Rp4gbHoVqMfVv69K+QE=; b=pJfdZUE/KOUujSKD0A3/JhKNSBW1UNtsN7x0VUTLf6CU8zyO4aUKi3BbDQzibFOm5O /pmOWzabGwCSvAsTpfifL+aVJNNyG3cJ9+sP9yNZwTPNkfEYoYB+S8ymN9kAZflboU6x zIXcv3DRUl9DVcBWr6W+V34t135HJP/vnlaCE=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,
The problem was fixed by updating the broadcom Gigabyte NIC driver. It is a known problem of Xen and Dell PowerEdge servers with Broadcom NICs.
You guys can search "xen  poweredge" to see what is the problem.

Thanks for replying
Jia.

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 11:26 PM, Todd Deshane <deshantm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 3:40 PM, Jia Rao <rickenrao@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am installing Xen on a dell PowerEdge 1950 box, which has two NICs and 8
> cores.
>
> After I finished install Xen, I can only see xenbr1 in "ifconfig -a" and
> "brctl show".
>
> Where is the xenbr0? it is suppose to be the first one.
>
> The machine is one of the nodes in a cluster. eth0 is configured with a
> public address which connects to the dept. network. eth1 is the NIC for the
> private address connects to the master node. It seems that Xen only bridges
> on eth1.

This is most likely to do with how the xen network bridge script detects to
default device.

Check your default route, most likely it is set to eth1.

you should be able to understand this better by taking a look at
/etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge, in particular look for the line that
is something like "ip route list | awk ..."

> I have experience installing Xen on a box with single NIC, everything was
> fine.

If you need both xenbr0 and xenbr1, the most reliable way to do this is
to use a multiple network interfaces network script

These instructions linked here have (minor) errors, but should give you a start.
http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/5.1/Virtualization_Guide/ch-virt-bridge-errors.html

In particular, watch out for the space between the #  and ! in the script

The copying of the network-script to network-script.xen is unnecessary

Also, in one place it says uncomment when it should say comment

Cheers,
Todd

> Any idea?
>
> Jia.