RE: [Xen-users] Network Bridge Fails After 3.1.3 -> 3.2.1 Upgrade

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Network Bridge Fails After 3.1.3 -> 3.2.1 Upgrade
From: "James Dingwall" <james.dingwall@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 08:49:12 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 00:49:52 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Let me start by apologising for reviving an old thread and for replying
to myself but I have some more information on this so perhaps I can get
to the bottom of the problem...

I am still running 3.1.3 because of the problems described below but I
have recently tried to migrate to init script created bridges.  I
changed the network-bridge script in the xend config to just call a
dummy script and configured conf.d/net to create the bridge (breth0).
Unfortunately this demonstrates the same behaviour which I observed on
upgrading to 3.2.1.  From this I can only conclude that the Xen bridge
scripts are doing something differently which stops the bridge dying
after a period of time but this changes between 3.1.3 and 3.2.1.

The output from the Gentoo created bridge (brctl show, ip show link)
breth0          8000.00e0812be348       no              eth0

15: breth0: <BROADCAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue
    link/ether 00:e0:81:2b:e3:48 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

and the Xen created

xenbr0          8000.feffffffffff       no              vif0.0
                                                        peth0

15: xenbr0: <BROADCAST,NOARP,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue
    link/ether fe:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

The differences that I see are in the bridge id and that the Xen bridge
as NOARP in the link.  Would either of these differences explain the
behaviour I see?

Thanks,
James

I'm running a Gentoo system using the 2.6.21-xen sources available in
portage.  The system has run reliably with 3.0 and 3.1 versions of Xen
but now trying to upgrade to 3.2 I am facing some problems.  I am
letting Xen control the creation of the network bridge and this happens
without a problem and when I start domUs they initially work without a
problem.  Unfortunately after a short time networking to the domU fails,
dom0 remains ok.  I have a broadcom network interface which is built on
to the motherboard, ethtool -i reports:

driver: tg3
version: 3.75.2
firmware-version: 5703-v2.33
bus-info: 0000:02:09.0

I have seen reports of issues with broadcom interfaces not working and
that ethtool -K tx off rx off resolves them but this does not work in my
case.  Any suggestions on things to look at are welcome, let me know if
any more information is required.

# ethtool -k peth0
Offload parameters for peth0:
Cannot get device udp large send offload settings: Operation not
supported
rx-checksumming: on
tx-checksumming: on
scatter-gather: on