RE: [Xen-users] GPLPV but network problem

To: "Steffen Heil" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] GPLPV but network problem
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 13:50:21 +1000
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 20:51:01 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Hi
>
> > Looking through some docs, I think irq7 (and probably irq15
> > too) is incompatible with being called via the asm 'int x'
> > instruction. Easy enough to try - i'll fix it when  get some
> > time today.
>
> I just tried setting IRQ to 10 and 5.
> Both settings did not change anything.

D'oh. I didn't see this email before I just answered the other one. For the
sake of completeness, please try the -pre9 release, but if you have manually
tried moving away from IRQ7 I guess it's probably not going to work. Pity.

> BTW: As intermediate solution, I would like to enable the QEMU network
> driver while keeping the PV block devices. Is this possible?

Yes. Given that it looks like the -pre9 drivers won't make any difference,
please do the following (slightly more verbose than previous email as I was
hoping you wouldn't have to do it):

1. Remove xennet.sys from c:\windows\system32\drivers
2. Remove any oem.* files from C:\Windows\inf that contain the string
"xennet.sys"
3. Remove HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\XenNet from the registry
4. Remove
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11C
E-BFC1-08002bE10318}\UpperFilters - it should contain xennet.sys only. If it
contains other things too then just delete the text xennet.sys from it.
5. Reboot

Please test on a non critical system first - I haven't tested the above
instructions myself!

James