[Xen-users] Ubuntu XEN cluster - heartbeat reboot issue

To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Ubuntu XEN cluster - heartbeat reboot issue
From: "Daniel Asplund" <danielsaori@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 08:44:35 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 23:45:16 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding :content-disposition; bh=E8gHwzSoPcvPXkA+5T42OZxwFmAmxO5fHt9T0F7r3pI=; b=Ed7NIFGnPjnSZhTOBSwrTrGriN7W4jZ8ri3wmhVE9sX4ukLKnhlslw2IQq95gSKdQC 0+8WHSWsKa1mqi8du6ArueOdAc5XU0zA7uUcGc8dOuifIb8YZE8W7ijhE+IRFyk6US/Y sZhWnHztnGZRfSt64G8HRrQpDLlmd1IPdG7JA=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

Done a test install with a cluster and now running Ubuntu 8.04 on two
Dom0 nodes.
The problem I found was with the rc scripts at reboot, that heartbeat
didn't have time to perform live migration before the node rebooted.
Executing: reboot at the prompt I could see it started to prepare for
the live migration, but at the same time in the log I could see it
started to shutdown xend (not good if migration is not complete ;) )
plus other processes, so the migration failed.

They way I at least temporary solved it was to put a sleep command in
the heartbeat init.d script, in the scripts stop section. I put sleep
15 so it waits 15 seconds before moving along. Everything works now,
but it seems like a very cheap trick.

Anyone having a similar setup and experienced the same thing? All
software are from the Ubuntu repository.
I earlier ran Debian Etch and didn't have this problem.

Regards, Daniel