Re: [Xen-users] VNC console access in paravirtualized domUs

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] VNC console access in paravirtualized domUs
From: jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 19:19:01 -0400
Delivery-date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 16:19:37 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Friday June 20 2008 07:09:14 am Paul Schulze wrote:
> For a 2.6.25 kernel that is be true, but he said he is using Hardy
> and I think he is using the same kernel for his Hardy DomU as me.
> That being said, the standard Hardy Dom0/U kernel is version 2.6.24
> with the Xen components ported from RedHat/Fedora kernel 2.6.22 or 23
> (as far as I remember), so it is still the old XEN_FRAMEBUFFER=y he
> has to look out for.

Heh - I always wondered whether Hardy built on top of the 2.6.24 pvops work,
or they forward ported Xen/Redhat code. That clears that up :-) Still, that
just means that Hardy is closer in function to the F8 2.6.21 kernel-xen,
instead of the F9 2.6.25. Either way, Xorg 7.3 acts the same way on both
systems. On my former F8 domu (& now F9), I had/have a desktop in vnc, but I
could always Ctrl-Alt-1 to a console, if I so desired. (Actually, virt-viewer
makes that real easy, altho' it's possible with Fedora vnc.) In fact, setting
initdefault to 3 in /etc/inittab does away with the desktop altogether. (I
tend to do init 3/init 5 in my F9 domu to test xorg.conf changes, since it is
easier than trying to get Tightvnc to send Ctrl-Alt-Backspace ;-), and vnc
never quits.)

> However, I can say this much, as long as Xorg is not running, it
> won't have any effect on the framebuffer. The problem here is simply
> to tell the kernel to use XenFB for its output,

(Aside - does Hardy use xen-vncfb (typical for xen 3.1.0 or lower)
or 'qemu-dm -M xenpv ...' (typical for xen 3.1.2 or higher) as the dom0 vnc
server?)

> though there is the
> possibility that the same problem occurs with the kernel output
> module as does with Xorg and therefor the kernel refuses to use the
> framebuffer. In that case, the sollution is not that simple, it would
> need some kernel debugging since there doesn't seem to be a patch
> yet.

I hope not! It seems strange that I've only seen a handful of complainers
about Hardy vnc support this year. Do Hardy-ers not use vnc, or does it work
for most of them?