Re: [Xen-users] Host/guest clipboard?

Hi Kris,

> Thanks for the reply Jim. I guess it is possible (if necessary) to run a
> separate vnc server or other remote desktop tool on a guest OS. However, I
> would really prefer, if possible, to connect to the built-in dom0 ip VNC
> (I'm using Xen-3.1.2-2.fc8 and libvirt-0.4.2-1.fc8 -- I remember reading
> that qemu-dm is the newer of the techniques, so I assume that's what mine
> is using. But I don't know). Does the dom0 VNC just not support clipboard
> passing, and not have _any_ way of changing this setting to allow it? If
> there is a way to get this working, I would really an explanation of what I
> need to do.

Dom0 VNC doesn't support clipboard passing and that can't be easily fixed.
This is for technical reasons, rather than just configuration:

Dom0 emulating a graphics card, which the guest is writing to.  Dom0 is
exporting the graphics card's framebuffer over the network using VNC.  This
is different to the usual scenario for VNC, where you run the VNC server
*within* the guest.  Since dom0 only has access to the framebuffer, it can
only export what's there.  This doesn't include the clipboard state, so dom0
can't access it.  The difference is that if you are running (as is often the
case) a VNC server *within* the guest OS, it has direct software access to
the clipboard.

To make clipboard sharing work with the dom0 VNC server would be a much more
elaborate problem than making it work with a conventional VNC server and
would require the guest to have custom drivers created and installed.  This
could be done in principle but hasn't yet for Xen.  Some other systems do
support this, such as VMware or VirtualBox, if you install their special
drivers within the guest.

So, sorry but there's not a way to do this with the dom0 VNC server for the
time being.  Exporting the display using rdesktop or an in-guest VNC server
(or X over SSH or FreeNX, if your guest is Linux) will give you this feature
under Xen if you really must have it.

You may also be able to get a VNC viewer that will allow you to paste text
into the guest from dom0, since that could be done by just injecting keypress
events.

Cheers,
Mark