[Xen-users] Re: dom0 freezing

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: dom0 freezing
From: Bernhard Schmidt <berni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 21:52:35 +0000 (UTC)
Delivery-date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 14:53:15 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Stephan Seitz <s.seitz@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Anyway, I found the ubunty gutsy and ubuntu hardy (x32_64) kernels
> bleeding edge, but NOT stable for production use...

Ubuntu Gutsy has been rock-stable for me since it was released. Hardy
kernels have several stability issues which usually manifest in an OOPS
either in dom0 or domU, but I haven't seen a single box freezing without
any message at all so far.

> If your hoster did have changed all relevant parts, I assume there are some
> me obscure BIOS settings "changed". In general, I would suggest to
> move from gaming hardware to server hardware ;)

The crashes (re)appeared when everything except (!) the board was
changed.

I would happily move to server hardware if
a) I would find another hoster with native and decent IPv6 on the
ethernet in a price range suitable for end users
b) there would be a guarantee that these issues don't happen again

b) is the key here, I have installed a number of Xen boxes, both x32
and x64 with Debian-Xen, Ubuntu-Xen or homebrew Xen. Some of them had
their share of issues (flaky drivers, flaky RAM, flaky kernels), but
none ever failed on me like that. Especially since basically the whole
system was changed between the old instabilities mid-2007 and the recent
ones. I totally fail to understand this, may it be gameserver hardware
or expensive hardware, the system should be stable.

> Feel free to take it (and get a higher MTBF for debugging...)
> http://boreas.netz-haut.net/pub/kernelpack-2.6.18.8-xen-2008.tar.gz

I'll try that kernel, but I'm pretty sure it will fail as well.

Bernhard