Re: [Xen-users] Xen: The processor(s) in this machine do not support ful

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Javier Guerra" <javier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen: The processor(s) in this machine do not support full virtualization.
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 18:43:26 +0100
Cc: Jörg Kühne <joerg.kuehne@xxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 21 May 2008 10:44:04 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello!

> did that mean my local processor doesn't scope the perfomance which is
> needed for virtualization?
>
> my notebook sprec:
>
> Dell inspiron 8600
>
> Processor (CPU): Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.60GHz
>
> Total memory (RAM):  461.9 MB

Javier has already very eloquently described the meaning of the message you're
seeing.

I'll just note that if you need full virtualisation (for instance to run
Windows) you could try one of the solutions he suggested (qemu/kqemu, VPC,
VMWare) and note that there is also Parallels and VirtualBox.

qemu / kqemu and VirtualBox are Open Source, Free software.  The others are
commercial.

I've been rather impressed with VirtualBox on my pre-HVM machine recently.

I'll also note that Xen/HVM, VirtualBox and kvm all use code from the qemu
project, so in some sense it's one of the "parents" of Open Source
virtualisation.

> A other questions which concerning to the openGL. I am not shure, but
> will Xen support OpenGL or not?

Xen only supports a relatively low performance 2D graphics interface for
guests.  There is a Free OpenGL virtualisation solution called VMGL by H.
Andrés Lagar-Cavilla (http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~andreslc/xen-gl/) although I
don't know if that's in continuing development.  It can run some full
featured GL apps, as you can see from the screenshots.  I don't know if it
would support Compiz, though.

It won't work with Windows guests, so its applications to gaming are somewhat
limited by that.

3D virtualisation is hard.  VMGL was one approach to it, Jacob Gorm Hansen did
some work on it too.  I know other people who have been looking into 3D
virtualisation under Xen but I can't guarantee what they'll produce or when
they'll produce it.

There are also people working on 3D virtualisation for other virtual machine
programs, both Open Source and proprietary.  I think we'll see more solutions
popping up in the future.

> For what I should focus on for my next notebook, to have full 3D support
> with Xen.

It would be nice but there are no concrete plans for if / when Xen will have
full 3D support for domUs.

Cheers,
Mark