[Xen-users] outgoing domu network dies after a while

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] outgoing domu network dies after a while
From: Peter Sjoberg <peters-xen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 07:56:07 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 21 May 2008 04:56:48 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have a OpenSuse 10.3 with xen 3.1.0 running and it's been running fine
for a few months.
This past weekend it suddenly started to act up and after some
troubleshooting I can now say that it seems like the guests(domU) loose
the outgoing network pipe, from the console I can see that the TX
counter is stuck at the same value but it's no errors. It behaves as if
whatever I try to connect to isn't there.
I can reboot the guest but the problem stays, TX stays at 0 while RX
counts up.
Rebooting the host(dom0) solves the problem for a few hours (seems to be
2-6h).

I tried to look for what the problem can be but don't know where to
look. The closest I got was when I narrowed it down to that it doesn't
send any network traffic out from any domU and once it happens the domU
mac is no where to be found outside the domU (checked brctl showmacs &
on the switch)
What bothers me most is that it worked fine up until Sunday. I was even
out of town for a few days before so I didn't change anything.
Also, why does it work for a while after reboot?

My setup is not that strange. I have one domu as firewall and another in
two DMZs so I have my own network-bridge script that calls the stock
opensuse script

for i in $(seq 0 4); do
      $dir/network-bridge "$@" vifnum=$i netdev=eth$i bridge=xenbr$i
      /usr/sbin/ethtool -K eth$i tx off
done

and this gives
# brctl show
xenbr0          8000.fefffffff000       no              vif0.0
                                                        peth0
                                                        vif2.0
                                                        vif4.0
xenbr1          8000.fefffffff001       no              vif0.1
                                                        peth1
                                                        vif2.1
                                                        vif3.0
xenbr2          8000.fefffffff002       no              vif0.2
                                                        peth2
                                                        vif1.0
                                                        vif2.2
xenbr3          8000.fefffffff003       no              vif0.3
                                                        peth3
                                                        vif2.3
xenbr4          8000.00508bcfd44d       no              eth4
                                                        vif2.4
The kernel and xen running is stock opensuse

# xm info
host                   : enterprise
release                : 2.6.22.17-0.1-xen
version                : #1 SMP 2008/02/10 20:01:04 UTC
machine                : x86_64
nr_cpus                : 2
nr_nodes               : 1
sockets_per_node       : 1
cores_per_socket       : 2
threads_per_core       : 1
cpu_mhz                : 2611
hw_caps                :
178bfbff:ebd3fbff:00000000:00000010:00002001:00000000:0000001f
total_memory           : 4031
free_memory            : 0
max_free_memory        : 1106
max_para_memory        : 1102
max_hvm_memory         : 1091
xen_major              : 3
xen_minor              : 1
xen_extra              : .0_15042-51.3
xen_caps               : xen-3.0-x86_64 xen-3.0-x86_32p hvm-3.0-x86_32
hvm-3.0-x86_32p hvm-3.0-x86_64
xen_scheduler          : credit
xen_pagesize           : 4096
platform_params        : virt_start=0xffff800000000000
xen_changeset          : 15042
cc_compiler            : gcc version 4.2.1 (SUSE Linux)
cc_compile_by          : abuild
cc_compile_domain      : suse.de
cc_compile_date        : Thu Dec 20 19:57:34 UTC 2007
xend_config_format     : 4

So, where should I look for problems?

/ps