Re: [Xen-users] Problems w/ 3Ware 9650 and 64-bit Xen

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Problems w/ 3Ware 9650 and 64-bit Xen
From: Freddie Cash <fjwcash@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 08:35:57 -0700
Delivery-date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 08:36:54 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On April 24, 2008 10:16 pm Martin Adolfsson wrote:
> Freddie Cash wrote:
> > On April 22, 2008 01:49 am Martin Adolfsson wrote:
> > I tried running Debian Lenny (with the 2.6.22-xen kernel from
> > Ubuntu), Debian Sid, Ubuntu Hardy, and a bunch of different
> > variations on the above.
> >
> > The only semi-stable configuration I achieved was Ubuntu Hardy with
> > the 2.6.24 dom0 kernel, and a forced install of the Gutsy 2.6.22-xen
> > kernel for the domU.  But that was only semi-stable.  Running lots of
> > HVMs and PVs at the same time could lock the server.
>
> That doesn't sound too promising at all. :-\ Did you try using the
> 3Ware supplied 2.6.18 driver?

No, never tried that.  Have since moved the box to plain 64-bit Debian
Lenny using KVM to run (currently) 6 HVMs, with 4 more in various stages
of testing (all using kvmbr0 bridge device on top of a bond0 made up of 4
gigabit NICs).

> > And depending on which version of the libc6 package was installed,
> > you could get lots of "bus error" messages and truncated libraries.
> > Plus,
>
> Nasty.

Yeah, the Ubuntu launchpad and forums for hardy are full of libc6 issues
regarding bus errors and truncated libraries, with no real solution as
yet (that I saw).

> > getting networking to work on eth3-eth6 (and not on eth0-eth2) in Xen
> > was a nightmare, and made even worse if you tried to create a bond0
> > interface of eth3-eth6 and use that for the Xen bridge (never managed
> > to get that to work with Xen 3.2).

> Yes, I use a fairly complex setup with a firewall in a domU, multiple
> interfaces and a bridged/routed setup. Basically, I threw out all the
> bundled xen-networking scripts and wrote new ones from scratch.

What's annoying is I was able to do the same using the supplied networking
scripts in Xen 3.0.3 in Debian Etch.  Something changed between that and
Xen 3.2, but I was never able to figure it out. Tried a couple of times
to figure out all the ip, brctl, and ifconfig commands that were going on
in the background, but gave up in frustration (oh, if only a distro had
the balls to unify networking commands like the BSDs do, such that
ifconfig is the only command you need to do all this).

> > After three weeks, I gave up and installed Debian Lenny, upgraded to
> > the 2.6.24 kernel, install KVM, and haven't looked at Xen since.  Had
> > a working VM setup in less than a day, with a 4-port bond0 as the
> > physical device for the bridge.
>
> OK - I'll take that into consideration, but given the time frames of
> this project, I probably have to stick with Xen one way or another. :)

Good luck.  Hope you get this one figured out.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@xxxxxxxxx