[Xen-users] Both Dom0 and DomU have the same ip address...

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Both Dom0 and DomU have the same ip address...
From: trist007 <drakoth777@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 06:57:39 -0700 (PDT)
Delivery-date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 06:58:13 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
How do I assign a public ip address for Dom0 and then a separate one for
DomU?  I wanna do this so I can get some practice using ssh from dom0 to
DomU.  I wanted to interact between the two to get some good networking
experience using all sorts of protocols between the two.  Anyhow, I have
eth0 on dom0 as dhcp.  So when peth0 comes up during the network-bridge
script, which then turns into eth0 on domU it comes out as having the same
ip address.  Then again I might be confused.   I have a router which has the
default gateway of 192.168.1.1 so I know that's where dom0 and domU hook up
to the internet.  So here is my confusion.  I've been using
www.whatismyip.com to find out my ipaddress.  I know this is the external ip
address.  Also, I've been using route -n to get dom0 and domU's internal ip
address.  That address would be the 1st ip address from the output in route
-n?  If that's true, they're both 198.168.1.0  But since this external ip
address is the same for both dom0 and domU, would this be the external ip
address of the router?  I guess for now, I could be using internal ips to
interact between dom0 and domU but I wanted to be able to do both.  I'd like
to interact with domU using dom0 via external ip and internal ip so I could
get all the experience.

So what should I do?  I'm guessing I need to make a static ip for eth0 on
dom0, but if I did this, wouldn't eth0 on domU be the same address?  Or do I
need to do some port forwarding, one to dom0 and one to domU, but how can I
if they both have the same internal ips.  I've been reading up different
guides online, but for some reason I can understand this section of
networking.  Could somebody please explain this.