Re: [Xen-users] RE: GPL PV Drivers version 0.8.8 on Windows 2000

To: James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] RE: GPL PV Drivers version 0.8.8 on Windows 2000
From: Georg Fleckenstein <georg.fleckenstein@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 22:56:48 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 13:57:32 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
James Harper schrieb:
I finally got an opportunity to test the drivers on Windows 2000
Server. I
used the latest 0.8.8 version.

After running install.bat, the device driver installation wizard
reports
XenEnum, XenNet, XenPCI, XenScsi, XenStub, XenVbd as ready to use. The
installer doesn't prompt me to reboot after installation. After
reboot,
nothing looks different. No additional network interface, no Xen stuff
listed in device manager. I tried adding /gplpv to boot.ini to see if
that
would do anything and that didn't help.

I noticed that there are no xen*.sys drivers in /winnt/system32 or
/winnt/system32/drivers.

I guess the inf files might not be right for win2k...

I don't have any time at the moment to look into it, but basically go
into each inf file, delete any line with 'amd64' in it, and section with
'amd64' in the square brackets, and remove 'x86' from any line that has
it, and the preceding '.' if any, so "%XenGplPv%=XenGplPv,NTx86" becomes
"%XenGplPv%=XenGplPv,NT" and "SourceDisksNames.x86" becomes
"SourceDisksNames".

Let me know if you are successful, and I'll attempt to make a .inf file
that 'just works' for everything :0

I tested with German Windows 2000 Server , Sp4 included. I had the same problem.
No xen- drivers in /winnt/system32, only xenroll.dll.
In c:\winnt\system32\DRVSTORE are some subdirectories like xenenum_A0D29A..... and the xen*.inf and xen*.sys.
I changed INF-Files as requested and tried it again. Same as above.
I deleted above files and subdirectories and reboot the HVM, installed again. I remembered an errormessage like "Missing mscore*.dll" during installation of shutdownmonitor, so I installed dotnet-framework vers 2.
After reboot I installed pv-drivers again. .. reboot..
Now the service "Xen Shutdown Monitor Service" is installed, but nothing else.

Thanks
Georg