Re: [Xen-users] Most stable Xen distro? (Results)

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Most stable Xen distro? (Results)
From: jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 21:44:26 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 18:45:04 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wednesday April 09 2008 12:20:55 am Doug Breshears wrote:
> I set the install media location to be /dev/scd0, put the first CentOS
> disk in and start the install. Sure enough the console window for poped
> up with the CentOS disk1 already booting. It gets a little ways then
> asks for where the install media is. I select "CDROM" and it says I do
> not have a device driver for that device.

Classic problem with Redhat. What I do is loopback mount the iso file (or
mount the cd) to a directory that is exported under nfs. Other people use
apache/httpd etc. to export the mount point. At worst, you can always fall
back to a network install from a redhat server or mirror, at a speed penalty.
Also, dvds or .isos are much less painful to work with than cds.

And yeah, it's much more straightforward to delete your first install attempt
and try again. As you gain more install experience, you may be able to repair
installs more. Virt-manager will change your config after the cdrom run, to
delete the cdrom definition, and boot off of your created disk image. If the
image doesn't have the kernel, etc. setup, you'll get the 'Bootloader ...'
error you saw.