Re: [Xen-users] Most stable Xen distro?

To: Henri Cook <henri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Most stable Xen distro?
From: Stephan Seitz <s.seitz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 22:20:30 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Doug Breshears <doug@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 13:20:21 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
You,re right,

the ubuntu xenified kernels can't be used for productive use. I don't know
why the ubuntu guys are porting to the 2.6.24. I might be wrong, but even
on latest server hardware, Xen's 2.6.18.8 is the best choice if want to
get rid of dom0 panics ;)

Henri Cook schrieb:
I had *very* bad Ubuntu/Xen experiences, even with Hardy Heron. As much
as i'm loathe to recommend a non-debian based dist, it appears that most
of the happy successful users, use Redhat (fedora? possibly CentOS)

I might be wrong, the Ubuntu packages ended up crashing my machine
multiple times in a day because of kernel bugs on high I/O

Henri

Doug Breshears wrote:
Is there a consensus on which distro is the best for running a Xen dom0?
I have tried Debian Etch (Xen 3.0.3/2.4.18 kernel) but it was having
problems with the domU's thinking the (virtual) hard drive was bad.
I upgraded to Xen 3.2 hypervisor and tools (Using Etch Backports) and
that helped quite a bit (errors are not fatal but still there) but
this left the kernel untouched and I assumed that it would be best to
get a kernel compiled with the same version of hypervisor you are using.

I then tried Ubuntu Gutsy (Xen 3.1/2.6.22 kernel) but the domU guests
hang while booting.

I assume, you've only checked via xm console?
You might want to add

extra='xencons=tty1'

in your domU config to get a shell.

If you want to stay with ubuntu/gutsy:

I've recently setup a small repository which contains Xen3.2.0 for gutsy/amd64
at http://boreas.netz-haut.net/

You might also want to try 2.6.18.8 (running on different boxes w/ no problems)
http://boreas.netz-haut.net/pub/kernelpack-2.6.18.8-xen.tar.gz

cheers

Stephan

I would prefer a Debian Etch dom0 but will go with whatever works best.

So to clarify.. Is there a Xen distro package / Kernel package
combination that works best?
I would consider compiling from scratch but I am not sure that would
do any better.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Stephan Seitz
Senior System Administrator

*netz-haut* e.K.
multimediale kommunikation

zweierweg 22
97074 würzburg

fon: +49 931 2876247
fax: +49 931 2876248

web: www.netz-haut.de <http://www.netz-haut.de/>

registriergericht: amtsgericht würzburg, hra 5054