RE: [Xen-users] Sup guys, I'm a Xen noob, I have plenty of questions...

To: "trist007" <thartanian@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Sup guys, I'm a Xen noob, I have plenty of questions...
From: "Tait Clarridge" <Tait.Clarridge@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 11:03:03 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 08:04:17 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

I will try and answer some of your questions as best I can.

First there will usually be some problems with the RPM xen kernels that
are installed through YUM. If you want a custom setup (with certain
drivers) you should try compiling from source or trying a kernel
recompile and ensure that the Graphics card drivers are compiling as
modules as well as any other modules relating to your graphics card.

The best thing to do is boot up each system then do an lsmod in each and
compare.

As for your other question regarding the Fedora VM, did you see the
installation process go through? From a console type "xm list" to view
the VMs and type xm console <whatever your vm is named, not Domain0>
then press enter to see if it is live.

If it isn't then it didn't install properly. I personally don't use
virt-manager because the command line works just as well or even better.
That blue console seems to be just the default and probably isn't even
connected to the newly created VM.

Virt-manager will not work without a Xen Hypervisor enabled kernel (so
the kernel you boot with -xen on the end is the proper one).

For your ftp setup it is probably best that you do a Paravirtualized
environment. I have some documentation on it and there is tons around
the web, what OS were you thinking of installing? There are tons of
guides on installing a Debian guest using xen-tools.

Yes, you can have a virtual instance of Windows XP. Google is your
friend for that one but if you get really stuck, the very knowledgeable
people in here can give you a hand for sure.

An easy way of finding your DVD device would be to pop a CD in the drive
and when it opens in Gnome or KDE press open to view files (or whatever
it is called) then go to a console and type "mount". It will list a
bunch of things but there should be one that will say something with
/media/DvdTitle if I am not mistaken and the device name should be
before that.

Good luck! I hope I answered most of your questions, if you have any
more or would like me to be clearer, let me know.

Cheers,
Tait Clarridge